Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Visualizing Where You Want to Be is Key

I am a visual and kinesthetic learner, meaning I learn better by seeing and doing.  Since I've chosen not to surf this week, I'm learning through visualization.  This is where YouTube becomes handy.  I've watched many videos from basic instruction to paddle racing to paddle surfing (yes, I'm hooked).  I have to say that the majority of the paddlers are male so when I see a female on the board I get hyped up!  In college, my volleyball coach taught me the practice of visualization.  You basically close your eyes and see yourself doing what you're set out to do.  In order for me to do this, I need a good example to study.



I've watched this video so many times that I can play it in my head.  But instead of seeing Kristy, I see me in her spot.  The hope is that when I'm back out on the surf, I can mimic the moves and make paddle surfing look so easy like she does.  If you haven't already sensed it, I'm an overachiever.  I'm hoping by the end of the year I'll be able to post a video of me showing off my moves.  You'll have to stay tuned to check out my progress!

3 comments:

  1. I like reading your stuff, I contribute to paddle surf.net sometimes, and what I fail to mention much is my wife has been Paddle surfing with me since I started about 3 years ago. She is getting pretty good and with all my experience it is hard for me to teach her how to surf because my weight and strength does not transfer into a womans finese. I have shown her this video many times and point out the good girl surfers and how they finese a turn or walk the nose. What has realy helped her surfing is I got her a longboard skate board and built some street paddles. She follows me around the neighborhood matching my movements. I saw imediate improvement in her surfing. I cannot say how stoked I am to have her out there enjoying surfing with me which has become my lifes journey. Keep it up and if you can find it look at some video of Rel Sun her longboard style was incredible.
    Peace and good surfing,
    Capt Ron Neff

    Oh yeah on the visulization it realy works I mind surf all the time and catch my wife doing the same thing and ask was that a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Capt Ron! Thanks for the post. So nice to hear that you enjoy reading my blog. I wonder everyday what the person reading it might be thinking and hope that, if anything, he/she is entertained by what's going on in my crazy head from day to day. Too cool that you and your wife have a sport to share together. Also, I'm gonna start using my kid's longboard skateboard as well and hope I see some improvement.

    As a new female paddler, I'm meeting all kinds of male paddle surfers who give me great advice but I'd love to hear from experienced female surfers, such as your wife. I do think that sometimes the way a man does something doesn't always transfer well to how a woman should do it because like you mentioned, we're built different. Also, females describe things differently. We tend to be more detailed. In any case, I'm hoping that my blog catches the attention of some female paddlers or even encourage new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cuz! finally tryin' to catch up on your blog...I like that you found this video to visually learn from. Looks like a lot of fun, well you state all the time (SMILE!)! Makes me want to secretly try it, but too chicken to. Really glad you're enjoyin' this AND at the same time tryin' to recover (our next run is soon!) Should be seein' you Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete