Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do You Have What it Takes to go From Zero to Sixty?

I've learned a lot about paddle boarding in the last couple of weeks.  I've been fortunate to meet people along that way who were willing to help me learn and I'd like to pay it forward.  I'd like to share my experiences with those of you who are new (or not) to the paddle boarding industry, in hopes that you gain a passion for the sport as I have.

First Lesson: Paddle boarding has an expensive price tag.  

Money- The start-up cost of paddle boarding is pricey.  A good board will cost around $1,000 and up.  The toughest decision for me was what type of board I wanted to purchase.  Boards come in different shapes, sizes and material.  You can go with a longer board, which is better used in flat-water for speed or a shorter board, so you can rip up the surf.  I ended up choosing a narrow longboard since I am new to surfing and probably won't be doing any crazy tricks in the surf for a while.  In addition, you need to purchase a paddle.  Paddles cost around $250 and up.  (I told you it was expensive!)  Paddles can be made from different materials as well.  I suggest before purchasing your own board to rent and try different sized boards to get a feel for what you like.  Same goes for the paddles.

Think we're done?  Not quite yet.  Now you need to think about how you will transport your board.  Do you have a truck to throw it in?  Or do you have roof racks on your car?  If not, you'll have to get some.  I was lucky that my new Subaru Outback has soft top racks.  But then I needed to purchase straps so I can carry the board on top of the car safely.  I purchased 8' SPT lockable tie down straps from REI.  They were a little more pricey ($75) than straps without locks ($30) but if I have an errand after a paddle, I don't have to go home first to drop off my board.  They are actually pretty cool and strap on easily.  Check out the pics.



Aside from these basic items, dependent on where you live, you may need a wetsuit.  The water can get pretty cold out here in San Diego during the winter so I purchased a 2/3 O'neill fullsuit which keeps me nice and warm when I'm out on the ocean.  And I get cold easily!

For the most part, these are the material things you have to pay up front but they can last years if you take care of them.



Check in tomorrow for Lesson 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment