Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Happiest Place on Earth

I was never really a Mickey Mouse fan so I'm definitely not talking about Disneyland!  I'm talking about the Sacred Craft Surfboard Expo.


For a newbie like me, it was all so awe-inspiring and overwhelming.  I met all kinds of cool industry people who were willing to share their knowledge.  Check me out with shaper, Tim Stamps from Huntington Beach.  My #1 SUP friend John gets his boards made by him so I had to meet the man!  His specialty are shortboards.  When my skills are up to par, I'll definitely have to pay Tim a visit.


It was sweet being able to watch the shapers in action.  Here the foam core is just being cut and shaped.  These guys are quick.  They definitely know what they're doing.  Many years of experience I'm sure!


These guys are putting a wood veneer on this surfboard.  They used a 75% bio-resin so that it is more environmentally-safe than other epoxies typically used on surfboards.  They get a plus from me.


Lastly, there was one female shaper in the house.  You rock Dessa Kirk!  She is a sculptor and fairly new shaper.  Her boards are not only high-performance but works of art as well.


 If you missed the Sacred Craft Show... bummer.  Make sure you hit it up next year when it's here again at the Convention Center.  Enjoy this last photo of me getting into my Classic 1950's Woody...  right?!

3 comments:

  1. sweet photo....nice to meet you...
    tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice meeting you too. I'm sure we'll run into each other again soon.

    ReplyDelete