Monday, August 30, 2010

Lessons from an 11-Year-Old Girl

Today I had an awesome paddle with an energetic 11-year-old girl.  This was her first time out on a SUP board but she caught on quickly.   Watching her reminded me about 3 simple things I need to remember as I'm learning to surf:

1) Just go for it. (She jumped right on the board and went at it.)
2) Don't give up. (She struggled a bit but pushed herself on the massive board that was twice her size.)
3) Have fun.  (She laughed and had a great time.)

As adults, we sometimes bog our minds down with so many things that it can be difficult to focus on a single task.  We over-think and over-analyze.  Children are so resilient.  They know how to live in the moment, something taken for granted as we get older.  When I hit the surf this weekend, I plan to clear my mind and keep things simple by following steps 1-2-3.

Thanks for the lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment