Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Chula Vista Nature Center... a Local Treasure

The CV Nature Center is located west of the Interstate 5 at the E Street exit.  It is a wildlife refuge and is visited by many people each year.   Yesterday I was an honored guest of the Nature Center because my extraordinary kid donated her $10,000 grant to them.  She won as this year's Cox Conservation Hero and chose the Nature Center as her beneficiary.  They were due to close this past February as the City can no longer fund them.  They have become their own non-profit organization.



This was my first time to the Nature Center.  What a wonderful place!  Even more amazing is that all the sea creatures I have been running into out in the ocean were there.  They have all the local fish in the aquarium, a couple of large sea turtle and about four baby sea turtles from a recent rescue.


Here is a leopard shark.  These are the ones I see at La Jolla Shores.  They also had the orange Girabaldi fish.


These guys are the reasons why we need to do the shuffle dance in the shallow water.  I definitely don't want to end up stepping on one of these sting rays!


How amazing is this sea turtle?  There are several out in the bay between J Street Marina and Coronado Cays.  They apparently like the heat that radiates from the power plant.  I'm waiting to run into one as I'm paddling out there.

Please support this local treasure, the Chula Vista Nature Center, by visiting one day.  It's a great way to learn about our local wildlife and how to help preserve our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment