Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dancing on Water

I've come to learn that paddle surfing is like dancing.  You need to let the ocean take the lead.  Your movements need to correlate with the movements of the water.  Otherwise, you end up using too much energy and/or fall off your feet.  As a beginner, it can be difficult to read the ocean and her movements.  There are so many conditions to take into account, such as the tide, wind and direction.

The usually quaint IB town was packed with hundreds of people
visiting to see the Annual IB Sand Castles Competition.

Today was a rest day for me (no paddling- sad face) but I still had a wonderful day at the beach with family.  As I sat on the beach, I studied the ocean.  I still have a tough time knowing when to start paddling to catch a wave so this was needed homework for me.  I need to learn to anticipate where and when a wave will break so I can be there to catch it.  Hopefully, my success rate improves soon because my body is getting beat up by all my wipeouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment