Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Like It On Top

Most of the time I prefer being on the bottom.


            Sometimes I'll take it on the side.


                             Or come up from the rear...












The toughest for me is carrying my longboard on my shoulder.  What?!  What were you thinking??


I see many surfers carry their board like this but
it just doesn't work for me with this huge board.  Can you tell by the look on my face?  ugh.



Today's post is about finally succeeding in carrying my board on my own without much struggle.  It can get pretty cumbersome or just down-right ugly trying to carry an 11' longboard as an unexperienced beginner.  Imagine, I've never in my life had to carry something that large AND not drop it or ding it.  Of course, the number one motivation to keep the board intact is the price I had to pay to purchase it!



The easiest way to carry a SUP longboard is on your side using the finger-hold.  But if you plan on carrying it for a long distance or your just exhausted from trying to catch waves for a couple of hours (consistent personal experience), carry it on your head.  The question a newbie would ask, "How do I get it on my head?"  Well, I used to come up from behind the board, fin-side up and angled it forward until I can get into a position to place my head on the center, then lift.  That got old fast.

Once I got used to the weight of the board (mine is about 15lbs?), I lift it to my head as demonstrated above and voila...


Hope this post helps some of the newbies out there and brought back memories for the experienced ones.

1 comment:

  1. I'll show you how its carried off the shoulder (pic 1) there's a little adjusting that needs to be done to your technique... by the way, that's the way the old-time surfers carried their super heavy old longboards.

    As for me, all those methods you talk about above are interesting but a bit tame- I'm only interested when I've got two or more (remember that one time)... boards of course!

    ReplyDelete