Monday, September 13, 2010

Top 5 Shopping List Items

These are useful items you don't consider buying as a new SUP surfer.  They are cheap and well worth the investment so go shopping!

1)  12" square of remnant carpet


Don't you hate it when you undress out of your wetsuit in the parking lot the dirt gets all over your wetsuit and your feet that you just washed off?  The carpet is handy in keeping your wetsuit and feet somewhat free of debris.  Plus, it's more comfortable to stand on and change, especially if you have extra-sensitive feel like me.


2)  A single shoelace



The first time I went out on my own, I didn't know where to put my key.  I actually hid it in a bush because I couldn't risk getting it wet.  My key has the automatic lock/unlock device right on it.  So now I carry my valet key.  I use the shoelace to tie it around my neck (loosely of course) and tucked into the wetsuit.  Some wetsuits actually have a cool little pocket specifically made for a key.

 
3)  Electrical tape


Typically new SUPers hit the rails of their board often, causing nicks and dings.  This is a cheap tool to use to cover the edge of your paddle as you are learning.  It won't totally protect from all nicks and dings but can help alleviate some of the minor damages.  Also, it comes in a variety of cool colors.


4)  1 gallon tupperware



I used to wrap my wetsuit in a towel and throw them in the trunk.  Many times, the towel doesn't keep other items in the trunk from getting wet too.  I used a cardboard box for a while because it just happened to be in the back of my car.  Eventually that fell apart.  I grabbed a 1 gallon tupperware and placed it in my trunk.  It helps keep my trunk dry and less sandy.


5)  Neoprene cement

It sucks when you get a puncture or tear in your wetsuit.  I have a small hole (less than a diameter of a pencil).  The neoprene cement should be placed on the outside of the wetsuit by squeezing the wetsuit material together and cementing on top.  If the hole is too large to do this, you should take your wetsuit to a repair shop.  The neoprene cement will keep the hole from getting larger.  Make sure you check the hole every now and then to make sure it's not enlarging.

No comments:

Post a Comment