Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I've Joined the Pack

So, after watching the Chainsaw Massacre Paddle Races this weekend, I decided to join the pack.  I just finished registering for the Hennessey's International Paddle Races which is in a little less than two weeks.  From what I've heard, there are some major competitors that participate in the 6- and 9-mile paddle races.  I'll be paddling the 3-mile Fun Paddle.  I know that the "Fun Paddle" won't be just fun-and-games but involve some cruel competition.  I say cruel because I'm sure there will be individuals who aren't in it just for fun but to kick some butt and make novice paddlers, like myself, look useless.  I'm not gonna lie.  I'm a competitor.  Once the race starts, you better believe I'm going to push myself to the limit.  Hopefully I don't disappoint myself too much.  I just want to finish strong AND not last.

Chainsaw Massacre
Today I did a practice paddle of 4-miles.  It was grueling going upwind but I made it through.  My left arm feels like it's going to fall off and my right obliques are hating me.  For the race, I'll be using my "Baby", an 11' Takayama.  It's not a race board but she'll do for my first race.  I just want to make it to the finish line without passing out.  Plus, I'm looking forward to the pre- and post- events!

1 comment: