Monday, September 6, 2010

6 Basic Tips on Shopping for a Wetsuit

Tip #1: Do your research before you head out to the stores.  Having an idea about what you want (style, weight, color) will definitely save you a lot of time and effort.  Google local surf shops to get an idea on what may be available there.  Make a list of which stores you would like to visit.  Hopefully you find a shop that has a variety of wetsuits in your size.  Otherwise, don't be disappointed to have to jump from one store to another.  I visited 3 before I found what I wanted.

Tip #2:  Don't just give yourself one-day to find the wetsuit.  (Although it's great if you happen to find that ultimate wetsuit during your first visit but don't count on it.)  Be patient.  The investment in a good wetsuit will be worth it.

Tip #3:  Wear a bikini/ bathing suit/ trunks under your clothes when you finally head out to try on wetsuits.  I wore the bathing suit that I planned on wearing under the wetsuit.  Also, it helps not to worry about being discreet.  I was at a surf shop that had small fitting rooms with swinging doors.  I didn't care if anyone could see me because I had my swimsuit on.  I understand that some of you may decide to go commando under your wetsuit.  Please don't do this when your out shopping for one.  That's just disgusting.

Tip #4:  Try on different brands.  The sizes differ.  Dependent on the brand, I fitted in sizes 6 through 10.  I wear a size 5 in women's clothing but my O'Neill wetsuit is a size 10.

Women- I know it's psychologically pleasing to fit into a smaller size, but you really want a wetsuit that fits well and comfortably.  Don't worry about the number on the tag.  Besides, no one can see it when you have it on! (This advice goes for any type of clothing.)

Tip #5:  Ask a salesperson to help you.  Most of the people who work in a surf shop are probably surfers themselves and can give you some good advice.  Make sure you ask questions.


Tip #6:  If you want to save a little bit of cash and you're not in a rush, you can try to find a deal online.  You can do this after you have gone through the tips above and know exactly what you want (brand, style and size).  There are many online stores that give better deals than the shops but the downfall is having to wait for delivery.  I'd way out my savings after cost, tax and shipping and see if it's worth the wait.

Happy hunting!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Melika! I hope you found them useful. I hope you're actually shopping for one so you can surf with me with winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liza,

    I just started SUPing just like you and I love your blog. I find myself in the same thought patterns and situations as you. It's great to have you documenting. I just got my wetsuit yesterday and you're right, you'd be lucky to find one on the first try.

    Anyhow, perhaps we can paddle out someday. The only thing is I'm way up over here in the inland empire.

    I hope to start a SUP blog soon also!

    -jeff cruz

    ReplyDelete