Saturday, September 25, 2010

Post-Race Thoughts




Here's my finishing medal to prove that I completed the Hennessey's Fun Race today.
What a day!  I definitely had the jitters coming into the race this morning and perhaps throughout the race as well.  I never really relaxed until it was over.  Probably due to my inexperience and definitely because of my lack of preparation.  I tried to convince myself that it's all about having fun... right?  I had to remind myself that a few times as racers started passing me up on the home stretch.  When I came up to the half-point buoy to round it, I just prayed that there were others behind me.  Thank God there was!  I was a little at ease.  At this point I already knew I wasn't one of the top contenders (well, I kinda knew that when I got on the beach).  So for now, it was just a matter of beating my best time.  On my previous blog I unveiled my play list to keep me on pace and hopefully finish by the last song.  When I rounded the buoy on Green Day and not Blink, I knew I was ahead of schedule.  I finished on Black Eye Peas, Bebot, meaning three songs early.  Although I did beat my best time, I wasn't very happy about my run because I knew that I could have been better prepared.  I was exhausted.  All-in-all, I've learned a ton from this first race and have taken some mental notes on what I need to do for a better outcome on my next race--  you bet there will be a next race!  The competition in all divisions were fierce!  I met a ton of cool people and got to watch some top competitors in action.

My plans until the next race:  More days paddling on longer runs; interval training with short rapid, quick paddling versus long endurance tempo paddling; try using a longer paddle with a smaller blade; get hooked up with a race board.

No comments:

Post a Comment