Friday, September 17, 2010

Lonely Female in a Sea of Men

Okay, there is a ton of ways I can define this title but let's keep it in relation to SUP boarding.  I just referred back to my very first post dated August 1 when I experienced riding my first wave.  I still can recall the day as if it were yesterday.  I remember just trying to get out past the surf to experience my first paddle in the ocean.  That was a chore.  When I finally got out there, I paddled behind the line-up of surfers.  As I suspected, there weren't many female surfers.  As a matter of fact, I recall only seeing one other female out there aside from me. 

As females, we often try to keep our composure in front of our male counterparts.  We want to show them that we can keep our cool under any pressure.  And we especially want them to know that females can do anything a man can do!  (At least these are things that go through my mind.)  Of course, it helps to have the support of other females to motivate you to continue with these thoughts.  But when you're the lonely female in a sea of men, as I often find myself when I'm out SUP surfing, it takes more mental strength to motivate myself to continue on.  It can be intimidating being in the water with all men because no one wants to make a fool of herself, especially in front of men.  These are the times when emotions have to be set aside (and believe me boys, with females, emotions are involved with everything, even surfing) and just do it.  Ladies, we do have to give the men some credit as I've run into some very supportive and friendly male SUP surfers.  It does help when you have one or two of the guys rooting you on saying "paddle now" or "paddle fast".  After a while out in the water, I soon forget that I'm the only female.  We're out there for the same reason--  to catch a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment