Saturday, September 4, 2010

Finding the Right Wetsuit

I love shopping.  What girl doesn't?  But shopping for wetsuits was more like a chore than recreation. It's hard work trying on one wetsuit after another, especially when it's a hot day so they stick to your sweaty skin which make them tough to put on.  I was excited to start searching for a wetsuit.  It was like shopping for that special dress that you were going to wear to a school dance.  It had to be perfect.

First of all, the choices can be overwhelming.  You need to figure out what style wetsuit you want to invest in---  a spring-suit, which hits thigh-length or a full-suit, which is a full-legged suit.  And there's a new butt-hugging short-shorts by Roxy that I'm sure a man must have designed (definitely not for comfort).

The arm-length can vary from sleeveless to short-sleeve to long-sleeve.  Then, as if this isn't enough to think about, you need to consider the weight of the suit.  This will determine the thickness of the wetsuit (measured in mm), so you need to find one appropriate for the climate of the waters you'll be entering.


After trying-on what seemed like a million wetsuits, I found my perfect match... an O'Neill long-sleeved epic 3:2 full-suit.  A wetsuit should fit like a glove.  I chose the O'Neill because it was easy to put on and it fit well.  I went with the style because I get cold easily and the water here in San Diego is definitely not warm enough for me to go for a spring-suit.  Plus, I wasn't interested in getting the arm-band and thigh-band suntan that a spring-suit will provide.  I'll have to metion that this suit is too warm for me to wear when I'm out on the ocean just paddling if the sun is out but I was on a budget and had to weigh out my priorities.  At some point, I'll invest in a spring-suit or jacket for that.



The 3:2 means that the suit is thicker in the core areas for warmth (3mm) and lighter in the places I need for movement (2mm).  This also helps with getting the suit on more easily.  I tried an all 3mm full-suit and was sweating like a dog when I finally took it off.  My wetsuit is seamless, which helps from getting your skin chaffed or rubbed.

Lastly, aside from feeling good in your wetsuit, you want to look good too.  I didn't find a ton of variety in color but I went with the classic black.  It's slimming and you can never go wrong with this basic color.  If you're looking to be a bit more trendy, I found that Roxy had more options but their wetsuits seemed to run small and tight.  If you're a petite woman/ girl, these may be the fit for you.  Maroon seemed to be another common color from Quicksilver.  If you can't find what you're looking for and you don't mind paying the price, you can always go custom.  Aaaah... that will be the day...

Check out tomorrow's blog on Tips on Shopping for a Wetsuit

No comments:

Post a Comment