Sunday, May 29, 2011

"DNS"

The Return to the Pier will be my first DNF (Did Not Finish) next to my name on a race results list.  So sad... it should really say DNS (Did Not Start).  I was forewarned by a few experienced SUPers about how gnarly the conditions were going to be but I was determined not to be swayed.  I had already made the decision to register, took the day off and was already in Hermosa Beach.  I had to give it a try.

This photo I took on the pier after laying my board on the sand and
running to the car and back for the camera.
 It actually had calmed down a bit.  
The swells were big, choppy, unpredictable and just random.  The surf seemed to be coming from all directions.  I decided to skip the pre-race meeting at 5:30pm so I could have more time to get out past the surf.  I knew I'd need it.  The race start time was 6pm.  I attempted three times and was not successful.  I was so close on the third attempt, only having to pass the last swell heading into the impact zone.  I really thought I had it but in an instant, a wall of water was in front of me about to break.  I did my best to paddle hard and leaned forward as much as I could to try and break through.  I even held on to the sides of my board hoping we'd be together on the other side as the wave started to form.  Needless to say, my board flew straight up out of my arms (have pretty bruises on the inside of my arms to prove it).  At that point, my determination and motivation was dwindling.  Before I knew it, the horn blew and I was still on the sand.  I wasn't the only one.  There were quite a number of both prone and SUP paddlers left on the beach.

Here's my SUP friend, Paul finishing the race.  Check out the boat
to give you an idea on how big the swells were.
Coco, who won first place in the Women's SUP division, approached me after the race.  She basically told me not to be let down by it because it happened to her last year.  (And she was one of the ones that forewarned me about the conditions before the race!)  Coco has inspired me since the the time I watched my first SUP race, the Chainsaw Massacre.  Thanks for the pep talk girl...  but it was still frustrating and heart-breaking not to be out there.

Post-race party at Hennessey's- the reason we race... for the celebration!!
Then there was an after-party at Gene's new surf shop...  fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment