Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Did It!

Loving this moment.
What an overwhelming sense of accomplishment I felt as I passed through that finish line.  I had to sit for a while in the water to take it all in.  Plus, I was just too exhausted and had to take a breather!  I DID IT!  Friends asked me at the Moonlight Beach Race if I'd do the Loop and I responded, "Yeah, right.  I can barely do 6 miles!"  And honestly, I didn't think I would do it.  It wasn't a question I considered.  Soon after the Moonlight Race I decided to DO the Coronado Loop.  Not to win it because we all know that wasn't going to happen.  (Only ONE SUP division with men and women!  And stock vs 14' and up?You need to change that Dan.)  I wanted to...  I needed to complete this race for ME.  My perspective on racing was going downhill.  I needed to gain back the feeling of accomplishment from just being in a race and have some FUN.  No matter how tired I was, it was FUN walking on that beach after the LONG 12 miles because everyone there knew how tough it was.  My goal-- to finish.  All positive thoughts is what I kept telling myself during and after my race.  I was going to keep to my word from my last post.  I wasn't going to let my mind be the downfall of this race. 

I was the last one in the water but no worries... I'm in it.
My morning was a little unusual at this race.  I started wheezing... or hyperventilating.  Whatever, it was just weird.  Was I more nervous than I thought.  I thought my head was clear and ready to rock and roll.  Of course, seeing people like Brandi Baksic unloading her "guns" taking her shirt off was a bit intimidating. I had to remind myself, "You're not racing them.  You're here to just finish the race."  But as a competitor at heart, it's tough not to win, even when you're trailing in the back. 

I'm smiling?  That's what I'm talking about!
All in all, I have to toot my own horn and say "You Go Leez!"

2 comments:

  1. congratulations! 12 miles is a long one. been following your blog. good to see your progression both surfing and racing. if you're ever in the PNW in sept, come up and do the 'round the rock race in seattle. fun event and very scenic course. aloha, jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon, Thanks for keeping track of my progress. SUP is such a dynamic sport. You never know what conditions you'll run into and you have to be ready for whatever might happen. It keeps things exciting and frustrating at the same time. It keeps me on my toes. I'm being challenged both mentally and physically. I'd love to sup Seattle! I have relatives up there so I've visited a few times. It's a beautiful place. I'll look into the 'round the rock race. Thx, Liza

    ReplyDelete