Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Seriously Ready to Rock and Roll

I should be nervous about this 12-mile race. Shouldn't I? I'm actually looking forward to it AND accomplishing it.  I'm going in with an open mind and no expectation except to finish the race.  Hopefully going in with this mindset will do me some good.  Besides, I have other concerns aside from coming in first place.  I'm worried about muscle cramps, dehydration and mental fatigue.

I'm preparing for this race like I'd do for any short trip.  I'll be traveling on the water for at least a couple of hours so I had to think about what necessities I'll need.

Here's my list of things to take:
  1. Raceboard, Fin and Paddle (duh, but should I use my leash this time??);
  2. NY Cap (I've worn it on all my races);
  3. Camelbak full of gaterade and salt (hoping it will prevent muscle cramping);
  4. Shot blocks and gels  (for the boost of energy I'll need to complete the race);
  5. I'm sure I'll need these around mile 7 and after.
    Otherwise, I won't have enough energy to finish!
  6.  Music (I love this birthday gift!  I'm hoping the music will distract me from time and pain!).
  7. I usually don't listen to tunes while I'm racing but
    I've reconsidered for this one.  I'm hoping the music will
    help keep my mind off of the length of time I'm really out on the water.
    If you experienced racers have any other suggestions of something I left out, please feel free to comment.  Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment