Friday, May 6, 2011

Preparing for a Summer SUP Journey


This is one of my birthday presents, a King Protea.  It's a giant, beautiful flower that's indigenous to South Africa and is their National Flower.  I'll be seeing many more of these in June as I prepare to travel abroad again to Cape Town.  My daughter and I plan on traveling up and down both the Western and Eastern Capes for three weeks.  Hopefully, with SUP boards in tow.  I've traveled to SA a couple of times already but I know I'll be looking at SA as if I've never been there before.  I say this because now that I'm SUPing, I'll take notice of all the places available to flat-water paddle and surf.  Yes, I plan on visiting the infamous Jeffrey's Bay, which I did on my last trip.  But this time I'll really appreciate the surf and the beauty of it all.  I can't say that I'll attempt to surf it because for one, it will be winter there and probably cold and two, I've seen pictures of those perfect barreling, over-head waves which I'm definitely not ready to jump into.  But I can admire the beautiful waves and mind surf them until I'm more experienced and ready to enjoy them for all its glory.  This mean that I'll have to head back to SA again in the next couple of years.  A trip to SA isn't a spontaneous trip.  It takes some major planning.  You may not know but it takes 2, almost 3 days to travel to SA.  It's a long, tiring journey but well worth it.  I don't know what it is but the colors seem more brighter, like everything is in technicolor.  Everywhere you look there is the beauty of nature that you can't help but enjoy, even if you're not typically a nature-loving person.

I've been doing some research on the internet about places to SUP but I'm wondering if any of you out there have experienced SUPing South Africa first-hand.  I'd love to hear from you and any suggestions on where to visit.

Lastly, I've learned a few important things to remember from this last recent trip:

Buy a good, sturdy luggage.  Most of the time they are just
thrown around, especially on international flights when they
are tossed from one flight to another at least 3 different times.

Make sure you use the proper converter before you
plug in your expensive Chi flat iron, or any other US made items.

SUP Board required. Most importantly, make sure you bring one
of these items or at least find a good place to rent one.


No comments:

Post a Comment