Monday, May 16, 2011

Post-Race Thoughts

So hopefully there are a few of you that DO sincerely care about what I've learned from this last race.  Actually, they're lessons learned from a culmination of all the races.  Unfortunately, I waited until this previous one to do some deep reflection.

What I've learned:

  • I need to have FUN!  I wasn't having fun anymore because I was placing a ton of pressure on myself by creating high expectations.  It made me lose focus on why I started this sport and racing in the first place.  And who wants to do anything that's not fun?   
  • I need to maintain a positive feeling of accomplishment!  I should be satisfied that I have the COURAGE to be racing.  The reality is that I've only been SUPing for less than 10 months and I've accomplished so much already.  It shouldn't matter if I finish first or last, I should at least be happy for finishing a race.  
  • I need to stop making excuses!  JUST DO IT!  This really is my mantra.  But sometimes when times are tough, it's easy to lose FOCUS and GIVE UP.  (Did I say that?  I'm a fighter and don't usually give in that easily.)  I'll need to start working on my mental strength, along with my physical strength, in order to keep me centered during a race.
  • Lastly, a good friend reminded me today that I need to identify my successes as well.  From now on, after each race I'm going to focus on something positive I did during the race.  Thinking about the mistakes that happened can ruin the rest of the day for me.  At a later time I can reflect on what I can work on to improve so as not to place a damper on the rest of my race day. Therefore, only CELEBRATIONS will take place on all race days!  (I'll do my best to keep my negative thoughts about the race aside for that moment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment