Sunday, January 9, 2011

Keeping Warm in the Winter

It's great working in education.  I get the same breaks the students get so I had 3 weeks off for the holidays.  I've been out surfing every morning this Winter break, except when it's raining.  It's tough getting out of my warm bed in the mornings.  I get cold so easily.  When I'm in the water, I rely on my wetsuit, booties and hood to keep me warm.  Outside of the water, before and after a session, can be brutally cold.  Sweatshirts weren't keeping me warm enough and when I'm cold, my motivation to change into my surf gear goes down.

The other week I grabbed my daughter's water polo jacket.  Perfect!  It kept me warm and it's large enough that I can discreetly change into and out of my gear underneath it.  I've inherited it as part of my pre-/ post-surf attire.


This is a basic swimmer's jacket, with a warm, thick fleece lining.  You can get it at a specialty swim store for about $75.  A friend of mine said that there are new jackets similar made specifically for surfers.  According to him, they are more durable and have wider arms so that it's easier to change underneath the coat.  Of course, you'll have to pay a little more for this "surf" jacket.  The cost is upwards from $100.  If you get cold like I do (who doesn't in this freezing weather!), invest a few dollars on one of these jackets and your body will love you for it!

2 comments:

  1. i have a fleece chagning robe designed for white water kayakers...big pocket inside and out.....love it..
    here is one: http://www.boofgear.com/products.asp?cat=10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I checked out the site and pretty funky jackets, as far as colors and textiles go, but definitely useful for changing clothes out in the open. The big pocket on the inside is great to store your clean clothes while you change. So, is it all fleece? My swim jacket has a thick outer shell and an inner fleece lining so it keeps me super warm.

    ReplyDelete