Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hanohano Race in Mission Bay

What a day!  We arrived at Mission Bay bright and early at 7a.m., anxiously awaiting for the registration booths to set up.  I was told that this was the big kick-off race and I was excited to jump start my 2011 SUP season.  When we arrived, there were already many contenders preparing for the race.  Racers included OC1, OC2, Surf Skis, Prone and Stand Up.


Since I started SUPing almost 6 months ago, I've already competed in 3 races.  The competition is always fierce.  You always see the same names pop up on top of the list but I figure I've got some time to move up in ranking.  I came into today's race with more excitement rather than nervousness like I did in my other races.  Perhaps because with experience I'm learning about what to expect and am better at preparing myself mentally for the race.

The starting line was grueling as always.  I'd say it's worse than the 805/5 (freeways) merge at the Golden Triangle.  The racers had to merge between two boats at the start.  This is where I struggled and I lost precious time fighting through the traffic.  I need to work on my speed out of the gates so I don't get stuck way behind the pack like I did today and then have to work hard at catching up.  My finishing rank was somewhere in the middle of my class.  I was happy that I was able to finish strong and not totally wasted.  I've been working on my technique and conditioning, which I'll tell you about in another post.

Here's a shot from of the kids receiving their awards for their division.
The Hanohano Race was very family-oriented.  There were many kids that participated in their own division.  It was nice seeing all the families with their keikis (kids) enjoying the beautiful weather and sharing a common sport.  Also, there were many big sponsors for the race.  The big raffle prize was an OC1.  We stayed until that last ticket was called hoping we'd hear them say "Flowers".  But it wasn't my day to take home the OC.  I had such a great time at this race.  I know I'll be back next year and maybe even convince my kid to come race too.

Check out this cool truck driver hat all participants received!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work in the race. Looks like good times for sure. I just put up a quick race report. Paddle on.
    http://www.waterhound.com/danny-ching-and-maggie-hogan-win-waterman-titles-at-hanohano-huki-ocean-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys!

    Waterhound-- read the report. Nice!

    John-- Right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete