Monday, January 17, 2011

Best Surf Day Ever!

"Today was the best surf day ever!"  Okay, I was reminded that I've said that sometime before, but this surf day beats all the previous ones thus far and be ready because I'll be saying it again because I know it can still get better.  And what I mean by the "best surf day"-- my experience and not necessarily the weather and surf conditions (although that always helps).

When I got up this morning, this was the plan:

Plan A- 7:00am Surf Imperial Beach and be back on time for 1pm beach bbq. (Surf conditions: blah)

go to

Spontaneous Plan B- 7:05am Drive up to San Onofre and surf Dogpatch and still be back on time for bbq.

Results:


An awesome day of sun and surf.  The slow rolling swells of Dogpatch is just what I needed to really get my confidence back on track.  There were some really cool SUP people I've met previously (Hi Roland and Jake) that shared the surf with me.  But also the horrid surf ski guys that sometimes throw me the stink eye.  Every now and then, one of those surf ski guys will block a wave from me (jerks).  My good friend, John, taught me to hold my ground and keep paddling through.  I was nervous but listened to his advice.  I came real close to hitting a guy on his surf ski because he refused to budge but now he knew I wasn't going to tolerate it.  I caught a few long rides-- so fun!  Of course, I still received the usual beat down a couple of times by being caught in the impact zone but today I didn't let it get me down and immediately recovered from it.  It was nice coming out of the water with my confidence still intact and a smile on my face.  Dogpatch is definitely the ideal spot for a newbie SUP surfer like me.

We were a little late to the bbq but still on time to see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment