Sunday, July 31, 2011

Making Friends is Easy in the Surf



It's pretty easy to meet new people when you're out surfing.  If you surf the same spot long enough, you run into the same people.  It doesn't take long before you start conversing between sets.  It's especially easy to do that while SUPing.

Although I was only in South Africa for three weeks, I made plenty of new friends.  Surfing and visiting "the wreck", I ran into the same guys.  Currently, there aren't very many SUPers in SA but it's a sport that is getting popular.  I got to surf with a great crew of SUPers in Cape Town.  Have a look at who I met:

Here's the baby of the group, Mitch, who is 19 yrs old.
He's also the current West Cape Champ for Windsurfing.

Here's Paul dropping in on his son.
I guess surfing etiquette doesn't apply when it's Dad.


Here's Ivan Vuuren.  You might recognize him.  He's a Pro Surfer.
He loves leaning way back on his paddle.
Here's Andrew, aka The Stig.
He's the current fastest SUP racer in Cape Town.

Then there's Dazzle.  He just shreds!
Like many other times, I was the only female SUP surfer but I didn't mind.  These guys were very welcoming and always made sure I was doing okay.  They even hooted and hollered when I caught waves and that made me feel like a superstar!







No comments:

Post a Comment