Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One Last Hurrah

By the time our last day in Cape Town came around, I was ready to go home.  I had been somewhat sick since the Knysna Oyster Festival (still don't know if it was too many oysters, bad oysters or a bug).  I had planned to do the Primi Naish SUP Race Tour at Canal Walk since I found out about it on Day 2.  I woke up feeling tired and had the shivers so it looked like I wasn't going to be able to do the race.  Of course, we had to appear at the race to show our support.

If you're a competitor, then you know how difficult it is to sit out.  While I sulked under the sun in a thick winter jacket, I watched all the racers prepare.  I couldn't stand not being a part of it.  I decided to do it.  I figured that I'd rather try and perhaps struggle through it than not try at all and wonder how it would have been.

The canals are narrow so passing is tough.
You need to get ahead from the get go.
I almost gave in.  I was feeling very light-headed after the first loop (mile 3) and was going to throw in the towel.  I do need to give credit to my kiddo, Dakotah, for pushing me to continue the last loop because I had already pulled over and started hydrating when Dakotah said, "Never give up!"  (Winston Churchill's famous words.)  Just hearing those three words from the one person that means the world to me gave me the drive necessary to move on.  I threw her the water bottle and pushed out to join the race again.  I ended up finishing second in the women's division.

The most I've ever gotten for a race: trophy, 200rand
around ($35), 150rand gift certificate (we ate there for our last dinner)
and Naish swag.
Here I am with one of my new friends and fastest
SUP racer in SA, Andrew AKA The Stig.  He just
started racing 3 months ago and is dominating!
It helps to be an Exterra race champion and triathlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment