Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Love Grows Deeper

You know that feeling you get when you fall for someone you really like?  Just his mere presence makes you smile.  And you can't stop thinking about him.  You want to spend every moment with him.

You don't think it can get any better but when you see each other again and spend some time together... you fall deeper.

That's exactly what happened to me and Seli in South Africa.  I fell hard.

Here's a photo of Seli and I on day 1:

It was love at first surf.
The Seli 1 (Turkish ship) was run aground more than a year ago due to a heavy storm and most likely, miscalculation by the Captain.  Apparently, there are many wrecks common through that area they call the Storm Route.  The Seli 1 has been through so much trauma during the past year:  it was run aground, caught on fire for a couple of weeks, abandoned and slowly being dismantled.  But little does the "Wreck" (as I call it) know how much happiness it causes for so many, especially surfers.  The Wreck creates these fun waves.  I couldn't get enough time with the Seli while I was in South Africa.

But really... what it boils down to is that I'm really getting hooked on SUP surfing.  It has distracted me from concentrating on other important things, including the SUP race scene.  It's tough to find a balance sometimes when your mind wants to focus on one thing.  In my case--- surfing.  Each time I go out I learn something new.  I'm progressing a little more faster now so I'm excited to surf whenever possible.  I DO think about it all the time.  I mind surf every day.

Early morning surf on a weekday is a dream.
You have the waves all to yourself.
The sad part of this story is that I may never be with the Seli again (because eventually they'll be able to tear it all down).  The good part is that there are fun waves EVERYWHERE around the world and the FUN part is searching for them, then surfing your heart out!

That giant hole you see in the Seli was done during the time I was in SA.
They thought that it would cause the ship to sink....  wrong!



No comments:

Post a Comment