Monday, July 4, 2011

Sprint Race in SA

I was invited to participate in a 2-mile sup sprint race here in SA. How could I pass this up? I knew I haven't trained in a few weeks, been off of my "training diet" and haven't exercised at all aside from surfing but I thought, "It's only 2 miles." Man, I don't know which was worse- sprinting for 2 miles or enduring the 12 miles Coronado Loop. Sprinting is definitely a whole different breed of racing. At the finish (and even somewhere in between) I thought I was gonna hurl. It hurt, but I was out to beat their fastest woman, Brigette.



Bay Sports let me race their Open Ocean Starboard race board, which is quite different than the Starboard Ace I used for a timed trial the day before.



By the time the race started, it was cold, windy and dark. It was so cold that I decided to keep on my track pants. Visibility wasn't that great so I was glad I checked out the course the day before.



Here were are celebrating with a few Windhoek beers. That's Paul, owner of Bay Sports Cape Town, on the left. Andrew (in the middle) has the fastest timed race at these events and he beat his best time tonight. He has only been SUP racing for 2 months! Watch out for him and his daughter in front of him who also did the race. I'm happy because I beat their fastest woman, Brigette, by more than a minute! Next week I'll be back to try to beat her fastest time.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Intaca Island

No comments:

Post a Comment