Monday, August 1, 2011

Time Flies

Boy, time flies when you're having fun!  Today marks my 1 year anniversary with SUPing.  I celebrated with a nice paddle session with my good friend John, who also was the person that took me out paddling for the first time (and has taught me most of what I know).  The year has flown by but I have so many memorable moments and achievements.

I copied this photo from my first blog, which I wrote on my
very first day SUP surfing and caught my first wave.
One year ago.

Just one year ago I committed to SUPing.  I was hooked.  I just wanted to surf.  I was convinced to join the Fun Paddle at the Hennessey's Race and got hooked into racing too.  Since then, I won the surfboard division in my age group for the Battle of the Paddle in Dana Point, which led to my sponsorship with Boga Boards.  I've been in 10 races, including one in South Africa.  I still continue to race for Boga but my true passion is surfing.  Can you believe it?  It was one year ago I went SUP surfing at the Rivermouth in Imperial Beach and caught my first wave.  What a high!  I wanted more.  My surfing has gone from not being able to catch waves to catching waves and progressing with going up and down the face of the wave.  My quiver includes my 11' Takayama Alii (first board), Boga 9'2" Bullet (fun surfboard) and my Boga 12'6" Racer (fast! but working on the motor still) and another Boga surfboard (they rock) and custom Stamps board on the way.  I've already gone on two major surf trips (with many more to come).  I've come a long way with racing and surfing.  And I have the battle scars to prove it!

This year is going to be a great year.  I can feel it!  I continue to enjoy racing because I love the workouts and seeing all my SUP friends at the races.  I may not be at the top of the finishing lists but every race is just a challenge to improve.  I've definitely improved.  And my surfing can only get better.  I already have a couple of upcoming surf trips in the works so please stay tuned for some more fun and adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment