Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tahoe-Nalu part II

I loved the energy that was resonating throughout the Tahoe-Nalu event! Everyone was having a good time and was excited about SUP. The competitors were fired up, yet there was a great sense of comradery even if they were rivals. It's always about winning but even if you weren't at the top of the list, you felt like a winner by simply participating. The crowd made everyone feel like winners by cheering on every racer, including the lonely last ones.


The Elite race started at 1:30 pm under the blazing 85*-90* weather, as if it wasn't
bad enough for those who just came to visit and had to acclamize to the altitude.

Danny Ching finished with a huge lead.  Second place came in almost 2 minutes
behind Danny.  And check out that pivot turn.  He does it in one step.
The Elite race was stacked. That was the fastest 6-mile race I've ever witnessed. Of course, Candice Appleby takes the women's division finishing in 40:27 and Danny Ching, no surprise, takes the men's with 35:21. Watching the Elite race gave me a renewed motivation for racing. I took copious mental notes as I studied the racers when they paddled by (I had an awesome view from the pier.) Yesterday I tried to implement and mimic some of what I saw. To my surprise, I made a huge improvement in my time. Granted, it was a perfectly glassy day. I'll continue with the same technique and hope it creates the same results in wind and chop. If so, I may tell you my secret.


Candice Appleby stayed next to one of the keikis during the Grom race to motivate her.

I especially enjoyed watching all the families in action. Each member of the Clark family (John, wife and 2 daughters) joined in on the fun. I was told about John's incident from last year's race when the winds were blowing hard creating huge swells that you could surf. It was his first race, he fell on his board face first, cracked both front teeth but continued to finish the race. He was given the Inspirational SUPer award.  John wore a helmet with a GoPro camera through the entire event.  He filmed everything and everyone.  Watching John's excitement throughout the entire event was contagious.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment