Sunday, November 7, 2010

SUP Storage Solutions

Where do you store your board at home?  I place mine on the garage floor, on a portion which is covered with foam matting.  It's really not a bad spot to put it until someone happens to drop something on it (hasn't happened yet).


So, I started researching storage options and this is what I came up with:

Gatekeeper Stand Up Paddleboard On Rail Wall Rack These come in pairs.  You can purchase them in a horizontal arm as well. Online they cost around $69/ pair.  It's pretty simple to put up on a wall and comes with the few screws you need to install them.

COR Ceiling Rack (New)If you don't have the wall space, another option is a ceiling mount.  This is out of the question for me because I don't have a reasonable spot to hang them.  Plus, I would think you would want a ceiling low enough to easily put up and take down the board, especially if you use them often.  These also cost around $69.

I was just about to spend the cash on a wall mount storage solution but saw these inexpensive options on the beach:

Saw Horse Workbenches fold flat and are easily portable.  Not a bad deal for only $20 at Home Depot.  Keep in mind that if you do decide to use a couple of horses to lay your board on, you need a decent amount of floor space.  If you are handy, you can make your own stand-up paddle board stand with pvc pipes.  I thought this might be a fun project and am planning on spending the $20 to make my own.  I see quite a few people using these types of stands out on the beach to keep the sand off their boards.  Another creative option I saw on the beach was simply the use of two step stools.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the making of my pvc board stand.  In the meantime, I may head over to Ikea to grab a couple of small $2 step stools to use.  Let me know if there are any other inexpensive options out there that I may have missed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your blog, it keeps my mind on warmer things here in Vermont.

    I store my boards overhead with the use of a couple tie downs. Simple and easy, from any auto parts store and easy to adjust the height, if you have the room. My boards are in bags also, you may want to pad the straps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sefton, thanks for keeping up with my blog! Great suggestions with the tie downs. I'll keep that in mind as I'm deciding what may be the best option for storage.

    Try to stay warm in Vermont!

    ReplyDelete