Sunday, November 28, 2010

Stand-Up Paddlers Needed in Florida


I visited world famous Cocoa Beach in Florida hoping to find strands of surfers lined-up to catch some waves.  Not today.  The surf was small and congested with tourists, rather than locals.  It was a bit overcast on this day but it didn't stop the visitors from sunbathing and wading in the Atlantic.  

I thought to myself, "This would be a great opportunity to get people to check out SUP surfing."  The could even go past the small break and do some ocean paddling, where they may run into dolphins and manatees.  Many tourists would be hyped-up to be able to go home and tell their friends about their new found sport.  That's what happened to me when I was in Maui.  But I guess in order for this to happen, you'd need a sample of SUP surfers out in the water to display how easy and fun the sport can be.   No surfers here... Stand-Up Paddlers needed in Florida.


I'm not really sure what all the hype is about this Ron Jon Surf Shop.  Perhaps, this is where it originated.    They are only located in the East Coast.  It's a massive store with everything you can think of that may be surf-related.  They even had Christmas ornaments perfect for the surfing family.


I'm not much of a shopper nowadays but these caught my attention:




Ron Jon had a wide variety of surfboards.  Almost all of the upstairs portion of the store (which is huge) was filled with all types of surfboards.  As I continued through the overwhelming number of boards, I ran into a section of stand-up paddle boards!  Okay, Florida does get it.  This was my first day out of seven in Florida.  New mission for Florida: find stand-up paddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment