Thursday, November 18, 2010

Protect Yourself from the Harmful Sun Rays

I enjoy being out in the sun but I also don't want to increase my risk for skin cancer.  It's difficult to avoid the sun if you enjoy outdoor sports.  The best thing to do is protect your skin from the harmful UV rays by covering up and wearing sunscreen.  There are so many types of sunscreens out there.  I always get the ones with the highest SPF (sun protection factor) for both UVA and UVB rays.  Most sunscreens only protect against UVB, which are the rays that cause sunburns.  You need to find one that also protects against UVA because these rays are the ones that lead to melanoma, aka skin cancer.  Opt for sunscreens that contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.  The best UVA protection is zinc oxide.  The white stain it leaves on the skin like plaster isn't cute but I'd rather sacrifice a couple of hours of non-cuteness than to a lifetime of it with wrinkled skin and/or melanoma.

Here is a photo of the sunscreen that I use:

I know it says kids but typically the sunscreens with the highest SPFs are made for children.  It will still work on an adult you know!  This one is very water resistant and won't run into your eyes when you get wet.  I choose to use a different sunscreen on my face because my facial skin is sensitive.


This one is also waterproof, sweat resistant and hypoallergenic.  It's a non-greasy, lighter formula so that it doesn't clog my pores.

Few reminders to protect your precious skin from the sun:

  • reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours;
  • still apply sunscreen when it's overcast.  This is the time when many people get sunburned;
  • wear long sleeves if you can;
  • wear a hat.
  • when you're out of the sun moisturize with a hydrating lotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment