Sunday, November 14, 2010

San Diego Outrigger Invitational Paddle Race

I have to admit it was a little nerve-racking setting my stand up paddle race board amongst the many oc1 and oc2 vessels.  All I could think about was how one of those beautiful, streamlined beasts can easily knock me off my sup during the race.

My mind was more at ease after paddling out to the starting line, which was about 1/2 mile out.  The SUP competitors lined up on one side and the oc, kayaks and surf skis on the other.  The race was 4.5 miles.  The sun was beaming and the winds were low.  Perfect conditions for a race.  I borrowed a friend's race board.  It was my first time using it in the ocean.  I only had a couple days to take it out in the bay before the race day.  Lesson learned: Get to know your board well before a race if you want to do well.  What this means is that you really need more time on a board to get to know its idiosyncrasies.  This board definitely moved differently than my 11' Takayama surfboard that I have been racing.  Also, the lighter weight and shape of the board made it a bit tippier.  I think it's a good idea to try different boards to get a feel for what you like and don't like.  This way, when you invest in an expensive race board, you know you're getting the right one for you.
I raced In Memory of my Auntie Lilly from Pearl City, Oahu, who unexpectedly passed away last week.  It was when I visited her this past July that I learned about Stand Up Paddling and jumped on the craze when I returned home.  I feel that this was her gift to me and will always think of her when I'm paddling.    

2 comments: