Sunday, November 28, 2010

Shobu... Where Are You When I Need You?



I could have put a Shobu to great use during this trip.  A Shobu (show up and blow up) is an inflatable stand-up paddle board.  It's less than 50lbs and would have been worth the $25 check-in fee.  We cruised Lake Dora on my Uncle Phil's pontoon.  The entire time I was wishing I had an SUP board as we skimmed the glassy waters.  My Uncle Phil and Aunt Ida live on the lake's edge.  There are five large lakes in close proximity to each other.  They are connected by narrow channels.  There are many people who ski and wakeboard on these lakes.




This is a view of one of the channels we traveled through.  There are a variety of plants, trees and birds.  Something I should mention that may sway you from paddling in these waters are the alligators.  We ran into a couple of them on our cruise but I was told that they don't attack unless they feel threatened.  I would think the chances of being attacked by one is the same as our chances of being attacked by a shark in the Pacific.  I may be wrong.



This gator was probably about 6' long.  Hmmm... on second thought, I'm not sure if I'd feel confident paddling next to this guy.  If it wasn't for these inhabiting the lakes, SUPing would be a perfect sport for these Florida lakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment