Monday, November 8, 2010

Fueling for Peak Performance

As I'm preparing for my next race this Saturday, the La Jolla Invitational hosted by the SD Outrigger Club, I'm thinking about how drained I was competing in the Battle of the Paddle.  I want to avoid "hitting the wall" as they call it in marathon running when the competitor runs out of "juice" (energy).  As needed for all endurance races, I have been carb-loading so that I'll have enough energy throughout the race.  


It's important to start a high-carb diet even before you carb load.  You should increase your carbohydrate intake beginning a week before the race and to at least 70% of your dietary requirements (carb load) 3 days before the race.  The body stores carbs as glycogen in the muscles, which is released as energy during a race.  (I have a BA in Kinesiology, specializing in Athletic Training but this doesn't automatically make me a superb athlete.)

Typical complex carb loading diets include pasta, rice, cereals, fruits and vegetables.  I'll be eating pasta daily for the next few days before the race.  Let's hope that this diet improves my energy level for this race and therefore, improves my finishing time.  I'll share my daily carb-loading diet in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment