Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tough Day at the Races

I struggled during the Hobie Hennessey's Waterman Challenge.  It wasn't that it was difficult, per say.  I just didn't have the energy to endure through the race.  I did my usual pre-race carb-loading the days prior.  (Although I didn't eat much that morning thinking about my grandma in ICU and then of course, getting the sad news during the drive up to the race.) 

Also, as soon as I stepped in the water, my toes cramped!  What's the deal?  I didn't take my camel bak because I figured I wouldn't need it for "only" 6 miles.  Of course, when I got to the start, I had to ask a friend if I could drink some of his water because I was already feeling dehydrated.  (Thanks Kiwi.) 

Basically, I tried not to get down on myself.  Remember my previous post?  I said that I'd only look at positives on race day and analyze lessons learned later.  Today is later.  I definitely need to work on my cardiovascular endurance.  Now that I have time off for the summer, I'm going to do longer distance paddle sessions and just MORE time out on the water.  Period.   I need to figure out what was it that worked for the Coronado Loop when I did the 12 miles with no cramping whatsoever and energy throughout the race.

And a few positives from the race:

I finally got to meet fellow Boga Team Rider, Ben Sarrazin.
I had some great friends, Bree and Nikki, drive up from SD to support me.  Love ya gals!
And this is the only injury I sustained... leash wrapped around my leg
after a wipeout that EVERYONE saw.  Gotta learn to laugh at yourself :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment