Sunday, October 10, 2010

Who Says Size Doesn't Matter

This girl knows from experience that size definitely matters.  Length definitely makes a difference and girth may or may not give you what you need.  Experienced SUPers know what I'm talking about.  Don't deny it-- different paddle lengths and blade widths need to be considered dependent on what you're trying to achieve.

Granted, I've only been SUPing for almost 3 months now but since I started my journey in August, I've regularly paddled and SUP surfed various conditions.  I'm not an expert but I know what has been working for me.  This is what I found:

-My first paddle that I purchased was the Kanaha Quick Blade paddle with the fiberglass blade.  In my previous blog, Perfect Paddle for a Female, I mentioned that I liked feeling the tug when I pulled the blade through the water.  Well, that was before I started paddling long distances.  I learned from the Hennessey's Race that it was exhausting pulling that big blade through the water for 3-miles.  I borrowed a friend's Kialoa paddle with a slightly narrower blade for the Battle for the Paddle and I felt much better after completing the 4+-miles race.  Also, the Kialoa had a carbon-fiber blade and although the difference in weight doesn't seem like much, you'll appreciate the difference after a long paddle.

Here is an example in the differences you can find in blade sizes.  

-Typically a paddle length is measured by extending your arm straight up, where you can comfortably hold on to the handle.  This is the length that my red Quick Blade was measured and what I used for the Hennessey's Race.  After the race I noticed that my lower back was aching from having to bend far forward to extend my reach.  By using a longer paddle for the BoP, I alleviated the pain and made my stroke more efficient.  On the other hand, I found that I paddled better with a shorter shaft for surfing so that I could do quick short strokes.

The paddle on the left I use for cruising.
The paddle on the right I use for long distances.
I just ordered a slightly shorter than the QB paddle for surfing.
I just ordered a Kialoa Methane to be cut slightly shorter than my Quick Blade for surfing.  Another detail that I found that I prefer is the shape of the shaft.  I like the feel of the oval shaft on the Kialoa versus the round shaft on the QB.  Also, I was always putting wax on my QB shaft because it got too slippery when it was wet.

I hope that reading about my experiences has convinced you that size does matter and don't feel guilty having more than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment