Tuesday, October 19, 2010

5 Things to Remember on the Day of the Race

I've already registered for my third race, the La Jolla Invitational on November 13, hosted by the SD Outrigger Canoe Club.  I've explained my workout regimen in my previous post on 10/13/2010.  I hope in the next three weeks this workout regimen will improve my 4-mile finishing time.

It can be easy to get consumed on what needs to be done to prepare for a race but many times what is done the day of the race is neglected.  Here are five things to remember:

Carb-Load
     -Okay, this one isn't a "on the day of the race" things to remember but needs to be noted because it will definitely effect your performance on race day.  A high-carbohydrate protocol needs to begin days, ideally weeks, prior to the race during intense training.  You should carb-Load 72 hours pre-race (4-5 grams of carbohydrates per pound of lean body weight or 80 percent of your calorie intake).
Hydrate
     -Don't forget about hydration especially if you are participating in a long race.  Of course, water is always a good option but for endurance races, sports drinks that include electrolytes and sodium can be a better choice to keep you hydrated and fueled for the long distance.
Warm-Up
    -As an athlete, I was always lazy about warming up.  When I was younger, I was more agile and flexible so I didn't feel any ill effects from not warming up.  Now that I'm a little bit older (don't you dare ask how many years older!) and wiser, I've learned that it's best to increase your circulation to warm up your muscles and joints to minimize injuries and improve performance.
Everyone is Friendly Until the Race Starts
     -Recall my experience from the Battle of the Paddle?  It's you against them until you pass the finish line (if you TRULY are a COMPETITOR).  Some will play mind games with you... don't fall for it.  Stick with your plan.
Focus on Your Primary Goal
     -Stick to your primary goal.  Remind yourself what it is before you start.  Say it aloud to yourself.  I remind myself of my primary goal throughout the race.  For example, if your primary goal is to improve your finishing race time, don't start creating secondary goals when this one starts to get tougher to reach. Basically, don't wuss out and keep your focus on your ONE primary goal.  More than likely, you'll meet it or get close to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment