Monday, October 4, 2010

"By George, I Think She's Got It!"

Yesterday I surfed Dog Patch again.  After Friday's visit, I knew what I needed to do and was ready to catch some waves.  I needed to paddle hard and stick my stance (I was starting to do this moonwalk thing.)  Anyway, after receiving my trophy paddle the day before, I was feeling confident.


This was my best surf day thus far.  I caught more than a handful of waves.  I felt in control, unlike the other times I've caught waves and felt like the wave was controlling me, rather than me riding the wave.  I'm definitely not an expert but here are a few basic tips for any new SUP surfers:
  • Start paddling as soon as you see a wave forming behind you;
  • Get your momentum moving forward in a straight line toward the shore by paddling hard;
  • As the wave is curling, paddle even harder;
  • Keep paddling until you drop in;
  • Hold your stance until you catch the wave and then you can adjust your feet;
  • Stop paddling once you catch the wave;
  • Don't freak out and prematurely bailout (which I found myself doing);
  • Enjoy the ride!
If you wipeout, remember to:
  • Hold your arm up to protect your head as you come up from the water.  Your surfboard or paddle may still be bouncing around up there;
  • Hold on to your paddle, otherwise, you will have to swim after it once you come up for air;
  • If you get caught inside, hold your paddle by the top end.  You'll have an easier time hanging on to it;  (I learned this just yesterday myself.)
  • Don't let the wipeout get you down.  Rather, use it as a learning experience and paddle back out!

No comments:

Post a Comment