Thursday, March 31, 2011

You Are What You Eat


An important part of any physical training regimen includes what you put into your body.  In the past few months I have changed my diet to eating mostly home-cooked meals.  And if you knew me personally, you'd know this was a huge step.  I was always self-conscious about what types of food I ate, even when we ate out so I always considered myself a healthy person.  Little did I know about the big gains I would receive by learning how to cook a few simple meals at home.  Along with my SUP workouts, I've shed some pounds, mainly body fat, and earned some muscles.  I feel stronger and my endurance is improving.  On my quest to continually improve, I visited an organic farm called Suzie's Farm in Imperial Beach.

Suzie's Farm provides local vendors and community members with fresh produce.  They provide your typical breeds of tomatoes, beets, broccoli, lettuce, etc.  But they also harvest unique varieties such as the spotted cabbage I have pictured below:


It only cost $10 to take a tour and you get to harvest a bag full of vegetables to take home.  Farmer Ellie's presentation demonstrated her passion for food and farming.  She broke down the process from tilling to planting the seeds to harvesting.  I learned so much on this tour and suggest you stop by when you're in town.


If you've never harvest carrots (like me), you'll have a blast.
It was like finding an easter egg every time and trying to find the biggest one!

Okay, that IS a carrot in my hand.  It's a red carrot.

I guarantee that if you started eating mainly things that are grown, such as the vegetables found on this farm, you'll improve your health big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment