Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Not So Cool in Baja

My good friend, Pete, has invited me to travel to Bahia de Los Angeles for the past three years.  He and his buddies enjoy fishing and "The Bay of LA" is a quant, little fisherman village located in Baja, about 8-10 hours south of San Diego (dependent on stops and traffic).  I'm not a fisherman so I was never interested in going but then I saw pictures of the beautiful bay and figured I could spend my time SUPing while they were out on the boats fishing.  I decided to go this year.

Had to bring along the BOGA Classic and BOGA El Rey to cruise on the bay.
I was handling the heat for the first couple of days.  Of course, hanging out with great company and eating good food (including Negro Modelo on tap) helped.

There are many tasty dished in Baja.  Breakfast... yum
I was especially amped to get to the Bay so that I could eat the fresh fish.
Lunch... Abuela making fresh-caught fish tacos
We even brought our motos to the Bay of LA but it was harsh dealing with the heat
coming up from the asphalt on the ride back to the villa.
But I can only last so long in the heat when there is no AC, especially at night...ugh!

This was on our drive into the Bay.  It topped at 113 this day.
If you've never been to Baja, you should check it out.  Of course, it would be best to go with someone who has the experience of driving down.  There are so many neat little coastal areas to visit along the way.  I'd definitely go back to visit Bahia de Los Angeles when it's cooler.  Actually, next time I plan on driving a few more hours (more like another day of driving) to Todos Santos for surf!

2 comments:

  1. Linda and I have driven down form San Diego to Loretto and La Paz on a couple of occasions.

    More than 20 species of whales and cetaceans spend time around Baja. Grays breed and calve in the lagoons along the Pacific.

    One of the really fun things we have done is to be taken out on a Panga and go whale watching.

    We have seen and touched them in Scammons's Lagoon slightly south of Guerrero Negro. At San Ignacio Lagoon and Bahia de los Angeles.

    Humpbacks and blues breed in the Sea of Cortez Bahia de Los Angeles is is the center.

    To view the California gray whales as they blow, sound, mate and calve in their natural habitat
    is an awe-inspiring experience that will never be forgotten!

    The Mexican government has "safari style" shore camp lies adjacent to the largest concentration of whales in San Ignacio Lagoon. From your tent door you can watch the whales who have traveled over 5,000 miles from the frigid waters of the
    Bering Sea to the warm waters of this desert lagoon to mate and calve.

    The best time to do this is February and March. Not hot and peak time for whales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the great info Larry! I definitely want to go back to see the whales. I'll take note to go in Feb or Mar when it's cooler ☺

    ReplyDelete