Sunday, August 5, 2018

Montana On My Mind


Our friends Tim and Jimena raved about their river trip last year telling us we needed to go.  They talked about how much fun and relaxing it was rafting down the river.  Thanks to their advice we had an amazingly exciting and heart-pounding adventure this summer.  We were amped to be able to hang out with our good friends for a week, rafting and camping on the Salmon River in Montana.  I brought my cute little two piece bikinis thinking that I would just be laying out comfortably on the rafts while we glided down the river.  Like many rivers, we knew that there would be some currents and waves but we were about to be surprised for what was to come.  We had no clue.

This is where our adventure began.
When we arrived there were kayaks scattered all over the place and huge rafts in the water.  I soon found out that the rafts were mainly for supplies and the kayaks were for us.  I was a little concerned because we had to wear these spray skirts that attached us to the kayak.  At first, I wasn't bothered by it because the water looked so glassy and I've kayaked many times in the bay.

John on the right being intentionally flipped over.
I was feeling excited about entering the water until I saw the guides intentionally flipping over people in their kayaks.  What the heck?!  For one, I hate being underwater.  Second, I'm attached to a kayak!  I was told that I needed to learn how to do an "emergency release" so I tried it once hoping not to use it much that week.


The current and waves were a much bigger than we anticipated.  My little family practiced the emergency release many times that week!  Although our week started with fear and frustration for this new sport, we ended the week excited to come back on another trip with Tarkio Adventures for these reasons:

1) Montana is breath-taking.  Every day we camped at a different beach, all with such beautiful, unique scenery.  We slept under the brightest stars I've ever seen and surprisingly I wasn't attacked by mosquitoes.

I absolutely loved each of the different beaches we camped on.

I wasn't sure about sleeping outside exposed to the elements but that the best way to do it on this trip.

2) Tarkio Adventures did a great job organizing our trip.  The Lewis and Clark staff did an amazing job with setting up camp, cooking yummy meals (so cool what kinds of healthy, delicious food you can create in a dutch oven!) and most importantly, taking care of the groover (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't want to know).

Our favorite guide, "Juice". 

Hard-working, fun-loving staff.

3) The guides were the best-- not only were they expert white-water kayakers and great instructors but they were also a blast to hang out with!

Our guides for the week: PK, Tom and Juice (missing Land and Dave).

4) Quality time with those you love.  Getting rid of technology and immersing yourself in nature is a great way to spend time with the people you care most about.

John, Dakotah and I with our besties Tim and Jimena.

5) There are hidden gems, such as hot springs, historical river homesteads and wildlife that includes giant eagles, mountain goats and a toad that peed in my bed!

The hot springs were a little too hot for me-- five-minutes was enough!

6) Time both on and off the river is fun.  When you get to camp you can enjoy appetizers and cocktails, have great conversations, fish, swim, play games, dress up in costume, have a spa day or  rest quietly on your sleeping pad until dinner was being served like I did (at least for the first couple of days because the paddling wore me out!)

Mani-pedis available upon request by 8-year-old Sierra.

Facials with black charcoal to unclog pores.

7) And if you're really not feeling like paddling a kayak, there are other options: the duckie or the Divorce Duckie.  You'll have to go on the trip to find out what these are.

"K-Tal" let us on the raft with him to relax...



No matter what you choose to do, being on the River of No Return is the type of trip everybody should do at least once in their life.  Especially if you go with the folks that we did who challenged us (Thanks Land for the Accelerated Kayak Program), looked after us and pampered us.  Can't wait to go next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment