Saturday, July 21, 2012

KOOK - Part II

Some guy ran into me the other day while I was surfing DogPatch and I'm kind of pissed about it. It's not that accidents never happen in the surf- it was more of the way the guy handled the whole thing. Before I go into that, let me give those of you who aren't surfers a little background about the unspoken rules of surfing.

Right of way on a wave: When you're surfing a wave, you can either go right or left. If you're the surfer who's closest to where the wave begins to break and, say the wave is a right, then you have the right of way. Other surfers will generally give you the wave- unless they are kooks and they cut you off as you're surfing along the wave.

Kook: A person who's so clueless in the water that they do stupid things, like drop in on you while you are already on the wave. To be called a kook means that you can't surf well, have a terrible style, talk trash, or even snake your fellow surfers.

My boyfriend was onshore taking continuous photos of me surfing fun little waves and was able to catch the following series:

Here I am already in the wave.  There seems to be no kooks in sight.
This is the kook dropping in on me!  I'm going right and he doesn't know what he is doing.
It would make sense for him to go right as well so that we don't collide.
Unfortunately, his dumb ass (excuse my language) decides to bail.
Notice how he actually turns around to jump off behind his board.
If you surf, or have any common sense, you'd know that by
doing this the board will fly up into the air.
I knew his board was coming straight at me so I had my arm up
to cover my head but it still got me underwater and
his fins scraped across my shoulder.
The worst part is that the guy didn't show any concern
for me, even after I got out of the water to ice the
huge knot on my head.  I later found that his fins
actually cut and bruised my shoulder. 
I was mostly pissed because that kook was out there enjoying the fun waves while I was on the beach icing my head. But you better believe I still went back out to surf after I iced my head. The guy never approached me to make sure I was okay. The problem is that it seems that the worst kooks of them all don't realize the extent of their own kookdom.











1 comment:

  1. Kook = see also anyone who stands on an oversized 'surfboard' utilizing a paddle for propulsion and balance.... Also known as Line-Up Cloggers.

    ReplyDelete